Friday, February 7, 2014


Influences of Family, Culture, and Society in Early Childhood (EDUC - 8853 )

Course Project (Major Assessment) Challenge and Sub-topic
by Salvador Perez

Dear colleagues at Walden University:

In considering my topic for the course project (Major Assessment for this class), I found one that truly interests me because I serve this student population. The challenge is “Children who are dual or multiple language learners”.

When I first encountered this topic, I thought on concentrating my research on Bilingual Hispanic students because this is my area of concentration and because I have read a substantial amount of research that advises that Bilingual education is the best approach to teach this student population”. At this moment, it came to my mind our readings and discussions about bias and this thought reveled a bias approach in my practice. The thought that this approach will work for every situation, including teaching classrooms with culturally diverse students, was naïve and pointed to a prominent bias in my teaching.

 As a result of this reflection and in order to address this bias on my practice, I have decided to focus my Course Project’s research on the suggested Challenge of “Children who are dual or multiple language learners” and the topic of “home language/ school language divide”.

Through this research study I am hoping to expand my understanding of multiple language learners, learn about best practices in teaching this student population to enhance my practice, and the advantages/ disadvantages of teaching second languages learners in the target language (in this case, English) while they speak another language at home.

What is your opinion on teaching this student population? What approach (es) may be more effective in serving these students?

Do you have any suggestions on academic research that would help me to enhance my understanding and practice?

Please feel free to write your comments and feedback.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Salvador,

    I was so excited to read about your project because that is also my project! I have lots of resources to share with you.. Some time this week I will add a few of the resources I have been using to the Doc Sharing section of our course. I think we can be very helpful to each other. There are two books I really use often when thinking about culturally and linguistically responsive approaches to teaching and assessment. One of them is "One Child, Two Languages" by Patton Tabors, the other is "Assessing Spanish-English Bilingual Preschoolers: A Guide to Best Approaches and Measures" by Sandra Barrueco et al

    The agency where I work has had success using a literacy strategy called dialogic reading, where they target specific vocabulary words for instruction and encourage children to be storytellers. Here is a link for more information: http://www.readingrockets.org/article/400

    Here is another great website for free resources for teachers and families: http://www.colorincolorado.org/

    Looking forward to working with you; I'm glad to be in this course with you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,
      Thank you so much for your positive comments and great resources. I responded in your Blog. I am looking forward to continue this collaboration with you!

      Delete
  2. Salvador,

    I love your blog! The visualization of opening doors is spacious, welcoming, and free!

    I am fortunate to learn about dual language learners from both you and Michelle. Unfortunately, due to geography, I suppose, I have not had much experience or training learning about dual language learners. Yet, I interested in how others foster a dual language classroom environment.

    I have always wanted to speak different languages and never pursued that beyond high school. I suppose, it is never to late to learn.

    Also, I am inspired by the select a language tab on your blog!

    Thanks for opening a new door me!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,
      It is so kind of you. I responded on your Blog. Thanks for re-sending the link!

      Delete
  3. Salvador & Michelle,

    I echo Michelle's excitement that you have chosen to study this topic. Although I am not studying this topic for this class, this is a topic that I discuss frequently with my colleagues at Western New Mexico University.

    I am anxious to learn more about this topic, and I am anxious to learn more strategies that we can use to support our pre-service teachers in being prepared to be effective teachers for dual language learners.

    Thank you, Michelle for sharing those resources, I am anxious to review the materials you posted! Good luck to the two of you!

    <3 Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      Thank you so much for your positive comments and best wishes. I responded in your Blog. I hope you enjoy my posting as I enjoyed yours. A feeling of respect and admiration was installed on me after reading your valuable posting. Thanks for sharing it with us!

      Delete